Friday, July 15, 2011

Pictures Of My Pirate Themed Classroom

When it comes to setting up your classroom, the hardest part {for me} is finding a theme to use.  Using a theme makes life so much easier for me.  I try to tie everything, or as much as I can in my classroom to that theme.  When I taught 3rd grade, my theme was bees.  When I find my pictures of my old classroom, I will do a post about that.  Currently, I have chosen to go with a pirate theme.  I'm not sure how/why I went with it, but it works...for now.  Here are some themed items from my classroom.  Keep in mind this was my first year with this theme, so it is a work in progress to build upon what I have. 

I found a {scroll} notepad at a teacher store and knew it would work well with my theme, but at the time I wasn't sure what to do with it.  Well I ended up typing up some reading tips and glued them to the scroll paper and attached them to a small bulletin board next to my guided reading table. 
 My word wall I also created using a note pad.  I glued a piece of treasure chest notepad paper to a piece of poster board to form a more sturdy letter.  Walla...my word wall:
 I made my job chart by finding a clipart image of a ship I liked.  After copying it onto a transparency, I used my overhead projector to project the image onto the wall and I was able to trace the image in a larger scale.  I believe I am the last person at the school to still have an overhead projector, in case you are wondering what ancient teaching tool I am talking about! :) 
This is the front of my desk, and how I like to take roll & lunch count.  When my students come in to class, they move their lunch tag (on the right of the yellow tape strip) to the appropriate treasure chest.  Cold for home/sack lunch and hot for school lunch.  This comes in handy during the day when I can't remember who is absent for the day.  All I have to do is look at who's name tag hasn't been moved and I know!  The name tags I made by using a 2 1/2" die cut circle punch and punching the "gold coins" from a sparkly gold bulletin board border.  (I made the job chart name tags the same way, using yellow poster board.)
Here is a picture of my reading nook.  I realize how plain it looks, but it is going to have a lot more going on before much longer.  I ordered the flags (hanging from the ceiling) from Amazon for (I want to say) $3.00 a piece.  The brown mast is spray painted white poster board bent into shape.  I added the pirate flag pennant that I found at the dollar store.  My husband thought it would be a good idea to add the fishing net, but against my carpeted wall it was very plain so we added blue butcher paper behind the netting.  The reading chair is a whiskey barrel planter turned upside down and upholstered with batting and pirate fabric. 
It would probably be better to make a "wooden plank" bench (like this):
to fit more kids, but this chair will allow for 2 kids to sit on it and I like the way it turned out.


This summer I found a paper mache treasure chest, similar to this, at Hobby Lobby for less than $12.  I already use a treasure chest filled with goodies for rewards at the end of each week, but I liked the price and look of it so I grabbed one and took it home.

I added some paint, and here is the new and improved version.
Although a treasure chest like this might have been better looking!
 My biggest tip is to think of a theme that works for you best.  Look for items that work and build upon your collection gradually.  The dollar store and thrift stores are great places to look!  If you can't find what you want...make it!

Clutter Free Classroom is a great resource for classroom themes if you are unable to think of something you to go with.  Check it out!! 

Do you use a theme in your classroom?  What theme have you picked out?  I would love comments, ideas, links and more to see what is happening in your rooms!

5 comments:

Clutter-Free Classroom said...

Oh My Goodness!!! Your room is amazing. I will certainly be adding a link to your post from my pirate theme page. Thanks so much for linking to my site. I'm flattered that you are a reader, as I've been admiring your site for awhile. Enjoy the weekend!

❤Jodi from...
★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
Helping Teachers Get Organized

Unknown said...

This makes me miss teaching! I taught for about 4 years before staying home with my kiddos. I did a beach theme, LOVE this though! So sweet and organized.

Anonymous said...

I taught 1st grade last year and this year I will be teaching 2nd but the classroom theme I chose for both was Hollywood. All the students and my fellow teachers seem to love it. Like you mentioned, I am trying to slowly add to the theme this year by looking at other blogs and shopping at the dollar store.
If you have any suggestions, I would love it!!

http://superstarsinsecondgrade.blogspot.com/

I love your pirate theme by the way.. almost makes me want to re-consider my hollywood theme! haha

Jodi said...

Love it!!!! It loooks amazing!!

❀Jodi
Fun In First

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC! Your room is AMAZING! Your students are going to love it!